History

The earliest roots of the North Madison Congregational Church can be traced back to 1744. Settlers in the area petitioned for “liberty to set up the public worship of God among themselves as distinct society.” On March 23, 1757, the church’s first covenant was established. By 1780 the first meetinghouse was complete, its long period of construction owed in part to the Revolution. That first meetinghouse was replaced by the single, classic colonial structure, which is the core of our present church. The cornerstone, which contains documents and papers of the time, was laid on July 4, 1837, and remains there to this day.

On February 5, 2017, NMCC members voted to become an Open and Affirming United-Church-of-Christ community. We have always sought to be an open and welcoming church, and we seek to accept each person for his or her own gifts. We come from diverse theological traditions and varied church backgrounds.

We are Congregational in polity, meaning that all major decisions are made by the congregation or subject to congregational review, and we have two regularly scheduled congregational meetings each year. North Madison Congregational Church is an autonomous entity, but is part of the United Church of Christ through a covenant relationship.

We serve every age group through nursery care, church school for children ages pre-school through confirmation, active youth groups for junior and senior high students, adult study groups, and fellowship.

Our church continues to grow and change with the community. We are proud of the important place the church has had in the history of Madison and are striving to ensure that it remains a focal point.